The Sylvia Plath Effect: Mental Illness in Eminent Creative Writersby James C. Kaufman
Two studies involving a total of 2149 writers and other eminent individuals found that female poets were significantly more likely to suffer from mental illness than female fiction writers, male writers of any type, or than eminent individuals in other fields. This finding has been dubbed the "Sylvia Plath" effect.
3 comments:
if there is anyone out there who knows where to find this article for free please tell me.
Hi,
Find my website and e-mail me and I will send to you.
Best,
James Kaufman (at CSU San Bernardino) -- the author
That is both sad and fascinating. I am a Plath fiend. I love her work and am admittedly obsessed.That article looks very interesting. I will have to find a way to read it sometime.
I think it's kind of sad that they named it the Plath effect. At least they remembered her for something other than the oven incident for a change; it always gets me when someone only knows that about her due to some English teacher's brute incapability to teach their subject.
Post a Comment